Friday, May 2, 2008

Day Six

Hi everyone,

Well, morning came too quickly for us! Laura and I groggily got up and rushed to get ready for breakfast on time. We shouldn't have been too concerned because, after all, we are working on Zamtime :) I think the others were starting to feel more comfortable with what to expect for the day. Last night there were some good teaching strategies coming out and I think we all enjoyed reflecting and sharing ideas over a Mosi or two.

Starting another busy day, we crowded ten into our car built for seven and sped at 160km towards Shimbizhi. I was worried that we were going to be late, but once again, Zamtime was in our favour!

As we drove into school, crowds of children waved and some ran along behind the truck. I think they're getting used to us. Laura immediately began to look for the girl with her face and then it was time for class.

I was teaching the grade eleven's adjectives and had brought along a selection of
objects to appeal to their senses. Laura, Rita, Michelle and a few others came to observe. I only realised how much this adult presence overwhelmed the students when the adults left halfway through the lesson. Suddenly, the students opened up and even began to joke around with one another!

Georgina, the principal of the school, was observing some lessons today. I know I'm not alone in saying I felt really nervous. I also had the priveledge of watching Laura teach a lesson today. She was very energetic and the students enjoyed learning from her.

During what was meant to be a break, I was bombarded with questions about religion, education and marriage from the other teachers. I left the staffroom with my head swimming!

Lunch was another interesting adventure. We had the usual nshima and spinach, but our protein today consisted of deep fried whole fish--we're talking heads, eyes-the works! As we decided how to eat this quickly and without pulling faces, Jones came up to offer us some more. I quickly pawned one off on Laura and told Jones I was full of nshima! Laura glared at me, kind of laughed, called me a jerk and glared some more. As I laughed at my success in avoiding more fish, she threw some of hers onto my plate. Zammit!!

I'm still amazed by the strength and determination that defines this school. In the heat of the day, with flies buzzing, a desperate need for water and limited resources with which to teach, it would be so easy to turn your back on all of it and just stop coming to school. In these exact conditions, I see people who believe in the possibility of better things, and who arrive to school each day in search of the education they deserve.

When I arrive back in NZ I will do my best to tell their stories.

Kate Findley
Reporoa College

No comments: