Monday, July 13, 2009

Muzungus among the angels


After a late night home Saturday we mostly enjoyed a sleep in (lets face it anything past 5.30am is a sleep in at the moment!) until around 8am. After breakfast we organised to split into two groups and head off to some local Churches for morning service. I was fortunate enough to join the group that were heading off with Humphrey and Godfrey to their local Catholic church. Humphrey had assured us that there was singing and dancing at 'his' Catholic church, but I admit I thought it was just that dry sense of humour of his at work again! but true to his word ~ singing and dancing we got!!

We were ushered in and settled into a seat and then the service began, all in the local dialect no less! I have to admit that I haven't been to church in a wee while but when the choir started singing and then the whole congregation joined in I discovered that it is easy to feel close to God when you are surrounded by the voices of angels. Tu Meke! Really quite indescribable so I won't even try but suffice to say this was definitely up there with my trip highlights.

After the service and meeting many of the locals we met the Catholic priest who was from Poland originally but has lived in Zambia for the past 19 years (the best of his life he says :)). His first comment on meeting us was "It is nice to not be the only white face in church!" He invited us back to his house for cokes and a chat which was really nice. It turns out he and his brother were ordained by John Paul II!

It was a fantastic experience and I will never forget being a Muzungu among the angels.

Sonia Youle

No comments: