Sunday, July 12, 2009

Things are loosening up....


Thursday was our second day at the schools. For some like Deborah and Sue nerves had begun to dissipate in tandem with newness of it all. For others, such as Sonia and Bridget, nerves had mounted as the reality of the undertaking was becoming more apparent. For others, like Warner and Elzette, the excitement and enjoyment of it all had simply crystalised and hardened after our first day: an appetite that grows after first bite. And me? I was still pretty overwhelmed and was trying my best to rationalize my fears and soothe my worries. I was grateful for the long ride to school: it gave me time to think and prepare.
Some of us taught, some of us observed. Elzette was the ultimate swimmer when thrown in at the deep end and asked to teach maths and English to grade 9. Warner ‘boggled’ his students (literally) with word games, Deborah was in awe of her partner teacher’s ability of such challenging circumstances and I learned about the external parts of a fish in a grade 6 science lesson: there are 3 types of fins apparently! Even Sally tried her hand at teaching English to grade 7 albeit quite unexpectantly, but all great leaders lead by example – what a perfect role model!
After a lunch of chicken, cabbage and Nshima (google it!) we finally assembled at Mwembezhi School for our first planning session. It was quite special to meet the other teachers and to be able to put faces to names. As a closing activity, we each had to sum up our day in one word: fun, challenging, interesting, insightful, inspiring, wonderful. Not bad, eh?
After jump starting one of the vehicles again (by now quite a normality) we gathered ourselves and headed back to Mumbwa and thus commenced the demise of Cheryl and myself. As others, though tired and weary, prepared to have dinner before turning in for the night, for us the stomach gurgling and bowel twitching was just beginning.
Welcome diarrhoea. Please leave your dignity at the door.
Is it too late to change my word for the day?

Holly Norton

2 comments:

Gill Norton said...

Hi Holly. So wonderful to hear from you and all of your colleagues too - you all really conjure up the atmosphere and experiences. Stay well and keep on blogging. Can't wiat to talk to you. MumXXXXX

CT said...

Hey mate,
Glad to hear you made it there well and you're having an inspirational time despite the cultural shock and the diarrhoea. You called your blog 'things are loosening up' well... it seems to me that you're loosening things up your back side, ha ha
Take care sweetie and keep blogging, it's great to hear what you and the other teachers have to say about the whole experience.
I forwarded the link to all Karori teachers and students. Now after reading some of the blogs I kind of regret that I sent it to the students but you asked me!!!!! so I blame you for that!
xox
C