Thursday, August 7, 2008

Frida's Stay at Massey

My Week at Massey High School

My Partner teacher is Laura Swan who teaches English and Dance. During the week, I home-stayed with Mr and Mrs Kirsten Shaw. They have 3 children 2 boys and a girl. One of the highlights of my first day was being introduced at a staff briefing and school assembly. Thereafter, I observed some English lessons. My main observation was that teachers at Massey are facilitators and all lessons are child centered.
The main highlight of the second day was the visit by the Minister of Education, Childfund Staff and press person fronm NZ Herald- Valmoana. There was a Question and Answer session with the students. On my third day, I taught a Dance Lesson where I taught Zambian dances to Year 9, 10 and 12. On my fourth day, Kirsten took me to visit Massey University. On my last day, I made my farewell remarks, students asked me questions about Zambia, they also brought food for the whole class to share. Ms Swan read out letters from the Zambian Students. Students from Maseey also wrote back. Generally, Teachers and students are very friendly, the learning environment is very good, nice buildings and alot of out door activities. Each Teacher has a lap top- Wow! and before I forget- these people love their culture. Despite the hard work- I've had a lot of fun watching movies and eating sushi.

No comments: