Thursday, August 14, 2008

Melvin's Stay at Northcross Intermediate School


The last day in Christchurch almost ended on a bad note as I missed my flight to Auckland. Nevertheless, I managed to be booked on another flight the same evening. Kathy picked me from the Airport and took me to Chelsea's family who hosted me for one night.
The following morning, I was dropped at Northcross Intermediate School and was welcomed by My Partner Teacher - Lynn who quickly introduced me to all members of staff at the school. She took me on a topur of the school and showed me different classes, library, Gym, performing arts center, sports courts etc. Thereafter, she took me to her class 'year 8'. The students welcomed me using English and Maori Greetings. I then told the students about Zambia and my school-Mukupi Basic School. Students asked alot of questions which I gladly answered.

On the second day, I observed Lynn teach Mathematics and Science and she used several methods such as discovery, enquiry and Group work. I also attended a departmental meeting to which Lynn belongs. The meeting discussed many things which included assignments which were supposed to be given to the year 8. During the evening, Lynn's house was filled with her relatives who came to meet me. We had a lovely dinner.

On day three, I accompanied a class to the Zoo. This trip was part of a Science lesson they had leraned. I saw sea lions, seals, Kiwis, penguins and a lot more.

On day four I observed Lynn teach her class how to use a Calculator. I also went round the class assisiting students who had difficulties. Thereafter, I accompanied Lynn and other teachers to Long Bay College where a lot of performamces were done.

On the Last day I observed some lessons in mathematics and Lynn gave them homework. I assisted some students on how to write the work in their diaries. I also attended the school assembly at which I gave a small speech to the whole school. I told them about Zambia and some of the challenges faced in schools. Lynn's students presented a card and some soccer balls to me. In addition, books and other stationary were presented to me to handover to my school. As I walked out of the Hall, all children were saying 'Goodbye Melvin' it was rather emotional.

On a relaxing side, Lynn took me to see the beach. I also went to watch a movie and also wnt onto a race car and I drove one for about 20 minutes. I also visited a Snow Planet which has man-made snow. I enjoyed eating Mcdonalds food too. Lastly, I accompanied Lynn to a group known as Toast Master- the groups tries to encourage public speaking. Generally, it's been a good experince for me as a teacher and especially as School Manger. I've learnt a lot and will take this knowledge back to my colleagues at Mukupi School.

No comments: